The purpose of governance is to provide confident, strategic leadership and to create robust accountability, oversight and assurance for educational and financial performance.
The governing body has three core functions:
- Ensuring clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction;
- Holding the head teacher to account for the educational performance of the school and its pupils, and the performance management of staff;
- Overseeing the financial performance of the school and making sure its money is well spent.
The governing body at Alder Community High School is made up of a group of dedicated and highly supportive individuals that work together for the good of the school and the benefit of the students. They have a wide spectrum of skills and experience. In addition to regular Governing Body meetings, the governors also attend 2 specific governor days within school and meet regularly with staff within school. All Governors are members of the National Association of Governors (NGA) and take part in regular training throughout the year.
In addition to the full governing body meetings Alder Community High School also has several sub-committees and panels. Through the committee and panel structure the governors ensure that there is a systematic and robust review of the effective delivery of all statutory requirements so that the school complies with its statutory responsibilities.
Governing Body Sub-Committees and Panels
- Curriculum and Standards committee
- Finance and Resources committee
- Safety and Welfare committee
- Pay committee
- Student discipline panel
- Staff discipline and grievance panel
- Complaints panel
The Alder Community High School instrument of government was made by order of Tameside local authority on 16th April 2015 and came into effect on 1st May 2015.
The Instrument of Government states that the Governing Body shall consist of:
- 2 parent governors appointed by parental nomination/election
- 1 LA governor appointed by the Local Authority
- 1 staff governor appointed by staff nomination/election
- 1 Head teacher ex officio
- 8 Co-opted governors appointed by the Governing Body and who, in the opinion of the governing body, have the skills required contributing to the effective governance and success of the school.
The Chair of the Governing Body is Mr P Houghton who can be contacted by email or in writing to the school address Alder Community High School, Mottram Old Road, Hyde, SK14 5NJ
Mr P Houghton
Chair of the Governing Board Co-opted Governor appointed by the Governing Board
Prof T Hewitt
Chair of Finance and Resources Committee Co-opted Governor appointed by the Governing Board
Mrs D Wills
Vice Chair of the Governing Board Chair of Curriculum and Standards Committee Co-opted Governor appointed by the Governing Board